Tuesday 8 November 2016

I didn't kill her Part 2



I became a bonafide student of Central University in August 1990.


On our matriculation day, October 3rd of the same year, people from all walks of life came to celebrate with their children, wards, friends and neighbours.  My parents did not invite many people except a paternal uncle, his wife and their three children.  I was surprised to see Sally and Amie emerged with cards and flowers in their hands.  I was overjoyed and took them to my parents for introduction.
No sooner had I asked them how they discovered I had been admitted that Amie said, “I do see you going to class every day boning your face, not minding anybody”. 
“How do you mean?” I asked enthusiastically.
“You always park your jalopy in front of my department and whenever I see you marching by, I would tell my friends, ‘That’s Mr. Bluff.  He was my mate in High School!’
We all laughed and she added, “Well, I could have let you keep ‘jawing’ if not for this sister ‘Be-good-to-all’ saying we should come and celebrate with you.”  She added without mincing a word.
“How could I have been so cruel to the extent of not saying hello to a mighty razor-tongue Amie?” I added jokingly.
“If you start that, I will leave now.” Amie said meaningfully.
“Hun – Hun …” Sally interrupted, “I have not come here to test your communication skills, but to celebrate with DDT and to let Amie know the cool guy we studied with in high school is now her school mate.” She concluded. 
“You know these guys can fumble as soon as they start riding one small car.” She released the bombshell while maintaining a straight face.
“What’s all these Amie, at least your father is a minister or have you forgotten how you people oppressed us in those days?” I reminded her.
“Shut up your mouth!” Amie said laughing.
I walked closer to her, raised my fist for fraternal greetings of friendship as we did in secondary school days; I hugged her and said seriously, “To be candid, I never saw you standing in Law department … I’m sorry!” I offered apologetically.
“I’m in 300 level Law, I’m no more your mate as in those days” Amie joked.
“It is glaring; boasting is now your major course!”
“Why not?  If not, at least I am a legal luminary. Isn’t it?” Amie queried.
Sure – Barrister Amie.” Sally praised her as we talked about old days in school and laughed over funny scenes from those days.
They were both served food.  I introduced them to my new friends but I soon discovered Amie was the campus’ ‘Jingo’.   Everyone kept calling and adoring her.
She asked for permission to talk to some friends and soon wandered off with some of them.   Finding myself suddenly alone with Sally I asked, “Is this how you behave in school?”
“You know me from time immemorial.  I found it very hard to change despite being an undergraduate. Besides, the nature of my courses does not permit much time for playing around and mingling with people.” Sally replied in an appealing manner. 
I believed her at once.  I turned towards Sally who was busy fidgeting with her pager.  “Thanks for your encouragement the last time we met,” I said looking straight into her eyes.
“What are friends for?”
“It has really challenged me …”
“If not for someone like you, who else could I have done such a thing for?”
“What do you mean?” I asked eagerly
“All your gestures in those days brought smiles to students’ faces.  Your feat as the social prefect, the dreams, the agitation and the love that inspired people like me must not be allowed to die just like that.”
Hearing her words, I began to realize how much God had done in other people’s lives through me.  I got strangely emotional, fought hard to hold back the tears flowing from my eyes.
“And I’ve squeezed my way down here today to remind you about those days and to tell you this is the right avenue for you to exert a change in the world, to be what God really wants you to be” Sally advised.
“That’s nice of you.” I said appreciatively.  My eyeballs were soaked with tears as I thought, ‘How terrible would it have been if I had been bad in those days?’
“And promise me…” Sally stood up, strolled down a bit.  “That you will maintain the good manner as you remain Dennis Demola Thompson, ‘the Scooby’ we all cherished and loved in those days.”
“I promise”
“And promise me, you’ll remain a saint for God and humanity.”  She pressed further.
“I can’t understand you?” I said factually because I was confused.
She moved farther from the celebrating crowd and I kept following her.  She turned suddenly and without hesitation said, “Promise the whole world today that you will not join the secret cult!”
“Why do I have to?” I asked her.
She turned to look at me and said, “Many good guys like you grew into monsters in school.  They allowed crazy things on campus to sink into their brains and they missed out.”
With conviction I responded, “I don’t have to do what everyone else does.  Why should I, no one compete with me.  I am the only child of my parents, who are respected people in the society, they are God-fearing Christians.  I must not bring shame to their names.”   
“I trust you” she said, reaching out to take my hand in hers.  “We’ve walked very far away from everyone else.  Your parents and friends might be looking for you.”
Placing one hand on my face, I felt the waves of emotion travelling through my veins.  I summoned up the courage and gently pulled her into an embrace.  “You know it is true what they say.  Behind every successful man is a knowledgeable woman.  Sally, I’ve tread a long distance in life.  I have never once met a young lady of your age so wise and courageous.”
“Glory be to God!”  Sally courteously replied.
“I love you Sally…” I offered bluntly.
“Thanks” She responded, as she turned to walk away.
I gently pulled her back without minding some students walking by.  “I mean it from the bottom of my heart,” I said.
She looked at me from head to toe, nodded her head and said, “I know you are not lying.  But we both need time to decide whether our emotions are right or wrong.  We shouldn’t rush, time will tell.  I can’t lie to you.  I think I love you too.”
“You do?” I queried anxiously.
Instead of responding she smiled, and began to walk ahead of me.  I did not know what to say except to think and think … mixed blessings!  We walked silently as we manoeuvred our way into the celebrating crowd.  Suddenly Amie appeared with a group of old school mates singing ‘For he is a jolly good friend…’ I was overjoyed!

Sally and I began a journey of togetherness.  It blossomed within days, through phone calls, cards and gifts into something beyond our fondest imaginations and understandings.  My parents were very excited to meet Sally.  Given the differences in our backgrounds, I expected her family to look down on me.  But to my pleasant surprise, they received me with open affection.  News of our blooming relationship soon spread among all our friends and we were soon tagged Mr. and Mrs.

My father’s business grew, and he was made the president of private business owners in The Gambia.  My mother too became an international business tycoon.  She travelled to-and-fro different parts of the globe.  The farm I was managing was registered as a private limited liability company.   Due to this our capital, profits and assets increased.  Fortune became our neighbour!  I kept going to bank with fat cheques for the business and myself.   To my surprise, my father gave me a brand new BMW 5 series as a birthday gift and to recognize me for a job well done in 1992.  Poverty and lack suddenly went into life imprisonment in my family.
Sally became very busy with her studies.  She hardly had time to call and most of the time when I called her; she wouldn’t be in the hostel to answer the phone call.  I soon realized that the flame of the relationship was burning down slowly.  One afternoon before my 300 level first semester exams, I decided to go see her in school.  On my arrival, I found her preparing to go for a practical class.
She begged me to wait for her.  I did.  I waited until long after seven in the evening.  Sally never returned.  My heart was punctured.  Then I thought, ‘It is better to dissolve an engagement than to break a marriage.’
Disappointed, I returned home thinking that Sally would call to apologise.   She never did.
I was emotionally broken down.  But rather than spending hours thinking about Sally, I poured myself wholeheartedly into the family business. My hard work and determination paid off.   I received a contract of 15.8 million dollars from an international food processing industry.  One of my goals was to be a member of the millionaires club.  This contract was just what I needed to ease me into that circle. 
As we were finalizing the contract, my father who thought the contract would never work out promised me 5% of the contract price.  To our pleasant surprise, it did work out as I planned!
I felt like celebrating the new opportunity that seemed to have just crawled into my bosom.  I tried to call Sally, but got no response.  As I was trying to find some way to celebrate I ran into Amie, who would become a barrister in two months time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Identity

  A farmer once took home a lion’s cub and reared him with the herd of his goats and sheep – and so was the cub’s mindset taken away; he nev...