Friday 25 November 2016

The Forbidden Fruit That Destroyed My Life --- Dennis Thompson



 
The next day being Friday, I finished earlier in school.  I rushed home and took a nice hot shower.  I quickly dressed and was about to leave the house to go visit with my aunt.  Just as I was about to leave, my phone rang.  I rushed to answer it, thinking it was Sally calling.  Instead, I heard the whispering voice of a lady I did not recognize saying, “Good afternoon Mr. Thompson.”
“Yes, good afternoon ma,” I said nervously with my heart thumping as if something terrible had happened.  Impatiently I asked “May I know who I’m talking to?”
This is Tricia; I’m the manager for ‘Nice and Cute Boutique’ in Banjul, twenty-two, Culture Crescent.  A friend of yours was here this morning to purchase a gift for you.  We would like to deliver it and need to know when you will be home to receive the delivery.   I heaved a sigh of relief.
‘A friend,’ I thought before asking, “Did this friend give you a name or an address?” 
“No sir, I’m sorry he didn’t.  It’s a customized gift and we were told that once you saw the gift, you would know who sent it.”
 “O.K. thanks!”
Can we bring it to your home now?”
“No.  Just hold it there.  I’m on my way out and I’ll stop there in twenty minutes to pick it up.”
I picked my car’s key and the things my aunt wanted me to bring to her, and set on the journey to her house.

I stopped by the boutique, walked in and found the lady who called me.  I collected the gift and was heading out the door when she called me back.  “Sir, we need to refund you with two hundred and seventy five dalasis for the delivery charges.”
“Thanks.  Tell you what, you keep it and buy yourself drinks tonight!”
I hurried into my car to see who had sent the gift. Once inside my car, I quickly removed the gift wrapping.  To my surprise, I found an eloquent three-piece navy blue single breasted button suit and a sky blue shirt with a white collar.  This must have cost a fortune?’  I thought.
 My mind centred on a tag attached to the gift, it read:

Pls. don’t reject this.
With love from the lady,
Who has brought you so much tears and pains;
And also taught you to be strong.
A.B

I smiled as I matched the initials for Aminata Bangoro, the daughter of Alhaji Zakari Bangoro, the honourable Minister for Works and Housing, The Gambia. 
As I was putting the suit back into the gift box, I remembered our discussion of the previous day with her voice reverberating in my brain, “If you mean it, come and pick me up from school tomorrow at 3pm and take me to your house” 
I checked my wristwatch for the time and discovered it was already 2.15pm. ‘How can I make it down to her school in forty-five minutes?’
I packed the gift neatly; set the wheel rolling and headed straight for my aunt’s house.  With my thoughts now on Amie, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my aunt was not home.

Leaving my aunt’s house, I sped through the Mainland Bridge in 15 minutes.  I reached the main highway and sped towards the Airport link road.  At exactly 3.07 pm, I pulled up in front of the law school gates.
As I was about to ask the security guards for Amie’s whereabouts, I saw her walking towards me.  I lost all words.  Sleek and seductively, she cat-walked towards me majestically, smiling amusingly.  She was wearing a beautiful Senegalese native design with colourful beads on her neck and wrists.  At this moment, she had never been more beautiful.  Her attire was completed with a matching colour head tie and a maroon colour bag and shoes.  I stood looking at her with open admiration.  Taking my hand into her, she leaned very close to me and kissed me lightly on my left cheek.  “You look extremely gorgeous today.”  I said.
“Thanks darling,” She said and hopped into the car.
“I received the gift you sent.  Thanks so much for it.”  I said as I sat beside her.  I started the car, and drove out of the premises.
“If such a gift is not for you, who else can I give?” She queried.
“It was as if you knew I needed another suit for church.  It’s quite beautiful!  It’s almost as beautiful as you. ” I smiled and pulled onto the highway. 
“You have started again.”  She cautioned.
“Aren’t you beautiful? If any man says that you are not beautiful, then he deserves to be struck with blindness.”  Accelerating the car, I overtook a sluggish bus on the highway.
“Stop flattering me for God’s sake.”  Amie said pulling my ear lobe and laughing.
“I’m serious, If not because my hands are tight, I could do anything to have you as mine forever and ever.”
“Untie the hands and prove it.”  She pressed further as I managed my way through the congested city traffic, concentrating on my driving; I tried to negotiate my way among the crowded Friday worshippers.
 After about 3 minutes drive away from the crowd, I started my romantic oratory, “Would you care to know that moon and stars are the beauty of the night just at the sun beautifies the day.  Do you realise there’s no cock without a crown… if you doubt your beauty, look into my eyes. If you see yourself in them, search no more … you’re a word for the voice … water for thirst.”  I said looking at her face.
She stretched forth, peered into my eyes.  Before I realised what was happening, she kissed me on the lips even though I tried to avoid her. 
I felt a sudden shock as I thought of what was coming over me but little did I realise until we got home, in my residence. Then, I realised I was the proverbial dog, destined to miss its trail and before long, I dared the hunter’s whistle.

We joked about different things including my inability to cook.  We talked at length about what I wanted the future to be like for me and whoever becomes my wife.
As soon as we reached my home she made straight for my kitchen and prepared a nice meal for both of us that we ate with delight.  Then we journeyed into the world of unknown, engaged in promiscuity, went against my parents’ wish for my life and God’s guidelines for me as His son.  
That night, I knew that I had not just let down my parents who had taught me the way of the Lord since I was a child but had also disappointed God who has been preserving me since I was born.
The illicit game persisted for a long time.  Before I ever realised how dangerous a viper’s venom could be, Amie had started sleeping at my house and our secret was known by people near and far.

*****

Realizing Amie had never met my mother, I asked her to accompany me on a ride to the airport where I was to pick my mom up on her return from a business trip in London. 
That beautiful afternoon at Banjul International Airport, my mother descended from her flight on board KLM.  I introduced Amie to her as the daughter of the works and housing minister.  She greeted her warmly, but from my mother’s reaction, I knew she was not pleased with her.  Bisola did not say a word throughout the forty-five minutes drive back home.  As soon as we arrived at our home, the Château Rita, she called me inside to have a tête-à-tête with me.  “Demola, Demola, Demola…” she exclaimed! “You are my only son.  How many ears have you?” She enquired attentively.
“Two.”  I answered.
“What are they used for?”  She asked further.
“Hearing!”   I answered curtly. 
“Now, listen to me attentively with your ears but hear me with your mind.”  She started as we took our seats opposite each other in her private room, “I am a good mother, I have come a long way but I’ve never been moved by what I see.  God made us, not man.  I don’t want people to start calling you a gold-digger.   She waited to see my reaction, it was unchanged.  She said further, “If my eyes are not faking me I believe that lady in the sitting room was the friend who came to the matriculation ground with Sally on your matric day.”
She waited for a response that I would not give.  When I didn’t respond, she stood up and came to sit beside me.  Speaking very gently she said to me, “If you honour me as your mother, leave this gal – she will only cause you problems.   Beside I see nothing wrong with Sally as a person.  Go back to her.  I believe she is a peaceful young lady.”  After dropping that profound statement, she rose and left the room, leaving me alone to pick up the ruins of my life.   
I summoned the courage and moved out of the room; joined my mother and Amie.  I found the two of them standing together discussing some women’s issue.  I thought to myself, “If my mother would allow herself to get to know Amie, she would love her as I do.”

Amie and I returned back home with a discussion full of encomium for my mother.  Amie was thrilled to have met her.  She said she has always dreamed of meeting her whenever she read about her in the newspapers and magazines.  In her excitement, she expressed how happy she was that my mother would be her mother-in-law.  A silent alarm went off in my head.  We had never discussed marriage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Identity

  A farmer once took home a lion’s cub and reared him with the herd of his goats and sheep – and so was the cub’s mindset taken away; he nev...