Thursday 22 February 2018

The amazing moves of Olukunle Olusanya from board-game gambling to boardroom decision making



Aremo Joseph Akinwunmi Olusanya is an inspiration, enigma, philanthropist and activist.
As an employee; he is loyal to the core. As an employer; he emphasizes quality disposition. As an entrepreneur; his acumen is as sharp as an eagle’s and as a government official; he heralds people’s opinions and connects the government to the people.

Knowing this man from success perspective might paint a false-belief that he was one of those guys who got to the top because they have the right counsels, consultants and constituencies – but for Kunle, streets were his counsel, wayward guys were his consultants and slum was his constituency. He started out with nothing; no support, no money, no mentor – but determination.

“After my O’ Level, I decided to fend for myself. I didn’t want to depend on my ageing parents and I didn’t want my siblings to see me as a parasite. I struggled to raise money to establish a gaming centre where I envisaged bountiful profits from the teeming youths in my community – but sooner had I started the centre than it became a gambling den and I was so engrossed in the act because of the quick return.” Aremo Joseph recollected.

“My good intention was misunderstood and I became a prey to the Police who checked-in regularly for extortion and harassments. The neighbourhood became unbearable as neighbours see me and my customers as potential suspects for all lost items in the ‘hood.” 

“I and my business were objects of allegations and accusations. My family tagged me the black sheep; no dignity, no pride and no respect.”

“After the birth of my third child, I asked myself, ‘Is this how I will live my entire life?’ Immediately, I discovered what to stop doing and what to start doing instead.”   What a great riddle the right question can solve in one’s life. 

Olusanya rechanneled his resources to remodel his life. “I spoke to my brother-in-law, Mr. J. A. Ariyo whom I thought would at least lend me money (if he cannot give) to start a big business but he refused, saying I will lavish it on gambling and advised me to return to school instead.”
“I heeded his advice.” Aremo confirmed.

He left his usual community and travelled into a far countryside to sit the WAEC/GCE which he passed with excellent grades. With that feat, he studied further and harder for his JAMB examinations and hit the mark when the result came out. He was admitted to study Banking and Finance at the Ogun State University.

“When I had something to use as a navigator, I intimated my only sister on how far I had come – and with her help, I gained the supports and confidence of other siblings and my parents – and the rest is history.”

Joseph Akinwunmi Olusanya graduated with Second-Class-Upper-Division and that was what helped him secure an employment at the Equatorial Trust Bank, from where he joined Mike Adenuga Holdings where he invested a good number of years before deciding to retire to start a personal business. Today, he is a Board member of the Lagos State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB).

His hotel, Safeland Hotel, is a citadel of excellence and hospitality den for the people seeking home away from home – and his other fleet of businesses have become cash cows that add to Joseph Akinwunmi’s treasury. 

Joseph Akinwunmi Olusanya’s special way of making the saddest heart laugh with his rib-cracking jokes is a quality that makes him attractive to all and sundry – most especially when he speaks  his commonest slogan, ‘Give it your best!’

Aremo is married with children; three of which are graduates making marks in Accountancy, Administrations and Telecommunication.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Identity

  A farmer once took home a lion’s cub and reared him with the herd of his goats and sheep – and so was the cub’s mindset taken away; he nev...