Monday 30 October 2023

The Making of an Iron Butterfly; Mercy Alexander, MD/CEO, D’Gallery TV

Extremely few are the women who boldly pound their chests where most men cower. Mercy Alexander is one of those few amazons who has also taken her exploits to an extra mile; she can venture into and single-handedly conquer any field that twenty men cannot together plough within the same stipulated time. 

Mercy’s journey to the citadel baffles many doubters, but her footprint on each rung of the ladder signifies that she did not only walk her way up the ladder, she also worked her way through without missing her lessons or wasting the experience.

Many of her friends, due to her strength and business acumen, call her Lady Jagaban – and this profile showcases the life of a lady who, initially, had no chance but who with determination, resiliency and focus is today dominating territories, championing courses – and winning all, because failure to her is a step further, an opportunity to dig deeper.


Personality 

Mercy Alexander is a Nigerian talk show host, media personality, actress and philanthropist.  Mercy is best known for her talk show, D’ Gallery Show, broadcast from NTA 2 Channel 5, Lagos – and the show has been running for almost ten years – since 2013.  

Mercy, a Multi-talented winner of many awards is one of the most influential women in the media industry.


Early Childhood

Born as Mercy in a thick village forest and poverty stricken region in Delta State, Nigeria. Her father, Late Alexander Osuya was a retired soldier in the Nigeria Army and later, a travelling oil marketer and truck driver working with a private firm, ABM.  He hailed from Ukwuani LGA of Delta State whilst her mother was from Kalabari, Bakana in Rivers State.

Mercy spent more time in the wilderness of Delta State, schooling, trading and farming, but despite being enshrouded in a thick hopeless darkness of the environment, she ensured her light never grew dim, she believed it will dispel whatever darkness.

Lady Jagaban has always being an optimist, she said to herself and her aunt repeatedly whenever she saw aeroplanes passed in their village, pointing upward to the sky, “Nne, I will be flying in that thing,” and at every opportunity she had watching TV, she would say to herself, “I will be in that tube.”  She was a dreamer. She has always enjoyed the company of herself, because aloneness enhances her ability to dream big.


Education

Mercy Alexander started her educational career at Army Children’s School, Gombe in the old Bauchi State and when her dad was transferred to Lagos, Mercy was moved down to the village to stay with her aunt, and was transferred to Etio Primary School to continue her studies ... and due to persistent movements of her dad, she attended several schools.

Army Children’s School, Gombe, Gombe State

Etio Primary School, Umutu, Delta State

Ufuoma Primary School, Sapele, Delta State 

Aunty Lynn Private School, Umutu, Delta State.

Imola Comprehensive High School, off College Road, Agege, Lagos State

University of Bamako, Mali, West Africa, for a Proficiency Training in Theatre Arts.

PEFTI School, Oshodi, Lagos, Nigeria, Formal Training in Acting


Sojourning to Greater Height

In the year 2002, Lady Jagaban decided to bring her dream into limelight. She left her village with her neighbourhood friend who had two sisters in Europe, Spain and Germany. Their plan was to travel to Europe by road in search of greener pastures but on reaching Mali, they hit a fence. The opportunity they thought was an easy ride was not even available, just like a mirage, but Mercy being a dreamer conjured a way out.  

Her charisma led her to a kind-hearted family (parents) that adopted her and sponsored her for a Proficiency Training in Theatre Arts at the University of Bamako in Mali – and in Gao community where she resided in Mali, she contested and won a third place in Miss Gao Beauty Pageant.

Mercy after completing the training and realising that Nollywood was growing large and becoming a cash-cow for actors and movie stakeholders, decided to return home and seize the moment. 

She returned to Nigeria and started going for various auditions without success – as she was not given lines, saved few extra roles she won in Yoruba genre where she could have blossomed if not for language barrier.


Taking another Turn

“The Nigeria I left in 2002 was not the one I met when I returned in 2005 – everything has changed; economy, the people, and the system ... it was so bad. If not for God, I would have caved-in to the situation at hand but I said to myself, ‘He that rides a tiger dares not dismount.’ I went to my village to re-strategise and plan my way for proper exploits.”

Rather than quit, Mercy made her lemon into lemonade, stayed in the village for one year, buying and selling farm produce to make ends meet. She also became a contractor for farmland preparation and cultivation; she would get the contract, hired labourers to do the jobs and sub-contracted others. After raising enough money to pursue her dream to be on the television, she set for Lagos, the Centre of Excellence.


Dominating Lagos with Work Ethics

Mercy started her life in Lagos as a Sales Girl in a supermarket and continued as a marketer until her character and charisma connected her to one Daddy Karim and his family, who encouraged her to go for part-time studies at Lagos State University but after several trials, Mercy concluded, “All I wanted to do was be on the TV, acting.” She went to PEFTI, a cinematography school founded and managed by Mr. Wale Adenuga, owner of WAP TV, with Daddy Karim’s support.

“After graduation, I went for several auditioning, paid my way through but no success from the much talked about Nollywood (English Genre). I could have hit a jackpot with the Yoruba Genre had I been able to speak the language fluently, because their producers are more professional in their dealings than other folks who want gratification. In Yoruba genre, you get the script once you are qualified.”


Languages Spoken

International

English Language (Conversational)

French Language (Limited)

Local

Igbo Language (Conversational)

Yoruba Language (Limited)

Hausa Language (Limited)


Changing the Game

Mercy opted into media and entertainment, by deciding to understudy an entertainer and event organiser that linked him with Mr. Cornel at the Haven Event Centre at Ikeja GRA, Lagos. 

Mercy again volunteered as Cornel’s errand girl, using her own resources to deliver letters and attending events. 

“I kept doing those things because I wanted to learn the rudiments of the game. I wanted to discover the Secret of Success.” She said.

Whilst she was deep in Cornel’s job, she was getting offer from her mentor’s friends in the entertainment industry that contracted her to anchor red carpet for their platforms and events – and from then on, Mercy started realigning her thoughts for the future. 


Major Discovery

Alexander finally carved a niche for herself; she felt the urge to start something in her own name, however small. She wanted something that will outlive her.

“I started mapping out a magazine programme for TV. I needed money, equipments and manpower – especially a presenter. I asked a staff of Galaxy TV to help anchor the programme but she was requesting I pay 200,000 NGN per week.”  The partnership did not work – but Mercy did not give-up.


The Advice that Switched Her Mindset

“One day, in Mr. David Agwazim’s office (Publisher of Classic Magazine), I met Aunty Jane Osamor (Publisher of Fabulous Magazine) who said to me, ‘My dear, your face is beautiful enough for the screen. Be the Face of your Brand. Don’t be afraid of your vocabulary, everything will fall in place over time.’”

She heeded Jane’s advice and set for the next phase.


Birth of D’Gallery TV

The name, D’ Gallery, was inspired via a dream and it started as D’ Gallery Show on MiTV.  

The programme has also been aired on NTA Channel 10 and later NTA 2 Channel 5 highlighting the lifestyles of achievers who have made marks in their various fields – politicians, movie stars, and captains of industries. 

In February 2020, D’ Gallery TV started on the internet, reporting news and covering events and other regular things done by terrestrial stations.

Other Activities Performed By Mercy Alexander

Furniture: sales and marketing

Event Planning and Management 

Hosting and anchoring of events and activities

Organising shows, events and other social packages

Consultancy 


Notable People Who Have Appeared on D' Gallery TV Show

1. Dr. Ayodele Fayose, former Ekiti State Governor. “He was and is still very supportive of my vision. He introduced me to several political icons in the PDP.”

2. Pa John Oyegun, former Edo State Governor and former APC National Chairman. “I always call him my daddy because of his fatherly roles. He mentors me, supports me in any way he can. Papa even introduced me to the DG of NTA.”

3. Hon. Captain (Rtd) Yusuf Buba, Representative from Gombi/Hong in Adamawa State Federal Constituency and House Committee Chairman on Foreign Affairs.

4. Mr.Yakubu Ibn Mohammed, NTA DG. “He has being a father and mentor on this journey. He gave me the slot I am using to date and also ensures my programme gains the needed attention. Whenever I have problems, either professionally, technically or business wise, he is always available to offer solutions.”

5. HE Gov. Nyessom Wike. The former Executive Governor of Rivers State. 

6. HE Gov. Seyi Makinde. The Executive Governor of Oyo State

7. Chief Bode George. A notable politician and PDP chieftain.

8. HE Chief Dapo Abiodun, the Executive Governor of Ogun State.

9. HE Ogbeni Rotimi Akeredolu, SAN. The Executive Governor of Ondo State. 

10. Captains of industries

11. Businessmen 

12. Local Government Chairmen 

13. Educationists and Social Analysts


Although the D' Gallery Show was started without sponsors, adverts or supports, today corporate organisations are showcasing their products and services on the show, identifying with the brand.


Act of Generosity

Mercy Alexander is a woman with a golden heart; she will rather break her secret vault than see a fellow man wallow in poverty.  She gives her resources to better the life and circumstances of many less-privileged in the society. 

Her NGO, Mercy Alexander Foundation, cater for the needs of orphans, destitute, less-privileged and the elderly. 

Her Education Empowerment Programme picks wandering kids on the streets, settle them in schools, provide books and stationeries, as well as uniforms and other packages.  Her vision for this initiative is to ensure that every child has basic education.

She also, on her birthdays, gives scholarships to two students and supports the elderly and orphans by visiting homes for such people. 


Faith Booster and Hiding Place

Mercy Alexander is a prayer warrior. She believes so much in the power of prayer.

“Since childhood, maybe because of the uncertainty I had as a child or because of the terrible family line I come from, I pray a lot. I also enjoy dancing to praise songs. It is part and parcel of me.”


Winning Qualities

Happiness ...  I get angry sometimes but I am always happy.

Hard Work ... I have been telling myself since my days in the village, ‘Mercy, you have nobody but God – and He won’t come down to assist you. He will use people to assist you but you won’t meet those people by sitting down, doing nothing. You have to get going.’

Lively ... I can light-up everywhere with my playfulness. I am a lively person. I hardly get moody; even when things aren’t going well with me.

Positive ... I don’t allow situations to keep me down. If it doesn’t work now, it will work fine later. Everything is working together for my good.

Optimistic ... I don’t give up on circumstances. I don’t give up on people. I look out for and see the positive sides of things and mankind.


Regrets 

When we look back on our lives, there are certain things we feel we could have done otherwise had the hands of time be turned anti-clockwise.

To Mercy;

1. Though my upbringing ... being raised on the street toughened my skin but I would have loved to be raised in a normal  family setting, a home with daddy, mommy and siblings doing things together. I really missed that fusion ... the chemistry such union bring and that is why I always keep my son close to me.

2. I would have preferred to stay in school like normal pupils and students. The way I was tossed about really affected my education and that is why I hate seeing kids, especially girls, on the street and that is why I always invest my money in them to ensure they have the basic education that will enable them to read and write.


Things She will Never Toy With ...

1) I will never in my life, even if I want to rubbish myself, sleep with a man of God, a pastor. 

2) I will never desist from paying my tithe. I have experienced the wonders of God in different dimension 


Her Dream for the Future

To have a permanent transmission site for D' Gallery TV

To build or buy houses for her staffs.

Get into politics, change the narratives.


Motherhood

Mercy Alexander is a single mother; disciplined and focused. When asked why she is so close to her son, Emmanuel (an undergraduate of Adeleke University, Ede), she replied, 

“We used to quarrel a lot until he understood my principles and reasons. I do not believe in youthful exuberance and juvenile delinquency. I know of parental failure because I could have gone wayward based on my upbringing and if I kept my cool, my son have no excuse for unruly behaviours.” 


Advice to Youths 

Keep away from unfriendly friends. Don’t mingle with friends who can destroy your future. Learn how to choose your friends. Don’t let your friends choose you.

Don’t give up on your dream.

Ladies, do not rely on your beauty. Empower yourself in a skill or vocation so as to make headway in life because beauty can fade, intelligence becomes better over the years.

Don’t be diabolical. There’s no life without God. If the devil gives you a shoe, he will take your legs.


Hobbies 

Dancing ... it is my means of exercising.

Singing ... it takes me to another level of inspiration – especially praise songs; they connect me to God fast. 

Talking ... discussing with people that inspire me to become more – and that is why I enjoy my work. It links me with people of timber and calibre whose lives are a lesson to me.

Driving ... it tells me there is no distance, real or perceived, that I cannot cover.

Dressing well ... Looking good is a good business. You don’t need millions to look fine and presentable. Dressing well builds your confidence. 


Countries Visited

Ghana for official duty 

The Gambia for leisure and business 

South Africa to meet the then Minister for Foreign Affairs.

United Arab Emirates ... I visited Dubai for consultancy and property business. 


If Mercy Alexander, the Lady Jagaban, was a musical instrument, she would be a trumpet; difficult to play, loud enough to hear and rhythmically appealing to whatever kind of music.

Mercy is a case study, a magnificent heroine, an Amazon, a business Tycoon and a lively and lovely woman – bold, beautiful and brilliant.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Identity

  A farmer once took home a lion’s cub and reared him with the herd of his goats and sheep – and so was the cub’s mindset taken away; he nev...